my journey to becoming a runner

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Lofty Goals

I have approximately 34 pounds to lose before I hit my "goal weight". I have counted that there are exactly 17 weeks until June 1st (the beginning of summer). Therefore I am setting this lofty goal: I want to lose an average of 2 pounds per week until I am at my goal weight by June 1st. This will be difficult. I haven't really ever lost more than a pound a week (on average). But I am at least going to try.

I have calculated my Basal Metabolic Rate (the amount of calories I burn just sitting on the couch). Then I have done my own calculations based on working out 5 times per week and wanting to cut out 7000 calories (the amount of calories in 2 pounds). I will need to stay at around 1000 calories per day. This might be a little low -- I wouldn't want to lose energy, remember it is my other lofty goal to never get sick again. So perhaps I will aim for 1100 calories per day and hit the gym more intensely.

I will re-evaluate at the end of February. Perhaps this is too tough, but that is the point of lofty goals. They say to aim high: people who have higher goals tend to lose more weight than those who have realistic goals, even if they don't achieve what they hoped for.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Those goals do sound lofty! Just remember muscle weighs more than fat so when you start logging in extra minutes at the gym, some muscle might start building! I haven't weighed myself in over a month. Oh, probably longer than that. I just know when my pants get tight, I need to back off the snacks! Good luck to you!

Anonymous said...

1100 sounds a little low..... I guess it depends on how healty the foods are. 1100 doesn't go far on crap foods, but is probably ok for fruits and fibers and such.